Subject: Re:Elmarit 40 mm 2,8
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:19:21 -0500

At 11:59 AM 2/25/97 EST, Lucien wrote:

>Leitz have made 400 ex. of that lenses (all the lenses that you can see in the
>different publications are falling inside  400 numbers).
>I have read somewhere that those lenses have been made in Romania ?? to cut the
>price (engraving "Made in Germany). Legend ??
>Anyway the quality of the construction was different from the other Leica
>lenses. The focusing range was printed on a metal strip who was fixed on the
>ring.

Van Hasbroeck confirms this, almost word for word, on pp 211-212 of his
magnum opus and says the lenses were intended for the French market, though
never actually marketed.  Lager is much briefer at II:242;  he seems to
doubt that 400 were actually built.  However, Van Hasbroeck illustrates
2512965 while Lager illustrates 2512605, so it seems safe to postulate that
at least 360 were built.  Van Hasbroeck opines that the mount was not up to
Leica standards.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!