Subject: Re: Snobby Leica (and others definitely off-topic)
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:02:10 +0000

Soon Wai Hoe wrote (at least I think he did - still trying to work out the
quotation marks):

> Well, I left the place thinking, with an image of the Nikon or
>Canon factory being a dark , black horrible builing, where old, half blind
>men, chisel lens elements from blocks of glass, and wield metal parts
>together, in dusty, smoky environments. But when I look at my F4, I just
>cannot imagine.
>Don't get me wrong, I own an M6 and I love it. It is however the Leica myth
>that gives rise to a certain snobbery, that is downright disgusting on the
>faces of those whose photographis worth come from the camera they own rather
>than from the pictures they take,..(what pictures???). Leica cameras of
>course are usually the scapegoats of this pandering ego.
>
>Can anyone out there please enlighten me on the special qualities of the
>Leica lens?? It is not that they are lousy. Just as an objective comparison,
>are they that fantastically far ahead of the rest?? As far as pratical
>experience goes, I cannot see a world of difference. Anyone care to disagree??

Soon Wai Hoe, if it was you who wrote that, you've hit the nail on the head.

I use Leicas (SM & M), Nikons, Canons, Rollei, and (when I'm in the
weightlifting mood), a Mamiya C330 with the 180mm lens attached.

Why on earth do I have such a mish-mash? I often wonder (as does my wife).
I think the answer is that they're all old - it takes a bit more effort,
but they're all capable of superb results with a bit of care.

What makes it interesting is the different approaches of highly competent
manufacturers. Using Leica or Rollei becomes instinctive once you're
familiar with them because of the quality of the engineering - they don't
get in the way of the subject. And it's not just the quality of the lenses
- - it's the whole feel of the cameras.

By comparison the Nikon F is a versatile tank of a camera. It's refined
because it's so simple. The Canons (F1 & A1) add a bit to user-friendliness
- - especially with their metering and (add-on) motor drives. Yes, I know I
could have one for the F - anyone got one for sale?

The Mamiya I like because it's so awkward. Full marks to them for taking on
the challenge of an interchangeable TLR. Speed is never going to be its
forte. But a built-in bellows as well....!

God forbid that Leica users should be branded as snobs - they're just
expressing a justifiable bias. On the other hand, you don't know what
you've got until you've tried the others. And there's nothing that says
your results won't be just as good.

Slan

Alex Hurst

Alex Hurst