Subject: Harly and Leica
From: rlocurto@pccsite.com (Ruth Locurto)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 01:19:56 -0800

To: rlocurto@pccsite.com
From: Mail Administrator<Postmaster@s1.pccsite.com>
Subject: Mail System Error - Returned Mail
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:40:30 -0800

- --===========================_ _= 4873046(25624)

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
each recipient was rejected.

    Recipient: <creadic@mindspring.com>
    Reason:    <creadic@mindspring.com>... User unknown

Please reply to Postmaster@s1.pccsite.com

- --===========================_ _= 4873046(25624)

Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 23:45:14 -0800
From: rlocurto@pccsite.com (Ruth Locurto)
To: creadic@mindspring.com

Dear Sir
The H-D situation was a bit differnt. Harley had just depleted their
capitol buying themselves back from AMF, and the US economy was in a
severe recession at that time (early 80's), and the Japanese were
dumping product into the market the way they had done in other areas. As
you may know the Japanese would sell below cost and once they dominated
the market they raised prices.

Harley asked for government intervention, but when things turned around
quicker than expected THEY ASKED THE GOVERNMENT TO REMOVE THE TARIFF.

I think the point here is that Harley dramatically improved their
product and today are at the top of the large displacement top quality
class (tied with Honda in units sold, last time I checked) and are far
ahead when it comes to dollar value of the bikes.

It goes to show that small high quality outfits like Harly or Leica can
compete with the overseas giants with superior product, and sometimes a
little gov help.

PS I e-mailed you rather than post to the group because I felt this
might be off topic.

Regards, Mark.