Subject: Re:Leica M: object of desire?-The future !!
From: Lucien <100774.527@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 21 Feb 97 12:25:08 EST

Erwin Puts wrote:

>If the Viewfinder persons would have their way we would get a new Mx,
>that would become the Contarex of the rangefinder line. (and Marc could
>write a book about the misfortunes of the Mx).
<It is clear that products have to be made for use: the strong growth in
>binoculars and projectors (both non-collectables)  and the relative
>decline of the M-line is a sure sign that the market is changing.
>I have discussed these matters with Leica managers and they are well
<aware of this dilemma.
>We als Leica users can comment on the future directions of the company,
>but now that Viewfinder seems to have appointed itself as the authority
>to speak on behalf of  Leica users (?) I wonder if somebody out there
>will care to listen. The Viewfinder view is the collectors view and not
>the market view.
>The LUG evidently has the potential to evolve into a real international
>platform, but till now it is dominated by the USA region.

Erwin,

I think that there are four different markets for new Leica M.

1) Collectors (some are also investors) who like "Eine stuck Leica", "Year of
the dragon" Leica etc.. plus M6j (Good money for R & D)
2) Users (some are also collectors) who like old fashion, mechanical camera like
M6 chrome , M6J, chrome lenses etc..
3) Users who use it professionally or not and who need a silent camera, clear
viewfinder, excellent lenses, quick release etc..(M6 Black)
4) (future)Users who want a leica M camera with:

- - TTl flash system (but no flash on board)
- - synchro 250
- - speed from 4s to 4000/s
- - motor (maybe like the R8 winder, one you can remove if you don't need it but
who look like he is part of the body)
- - better view with tele objective and wide angle
- - one bright-line at the time for each focal or a zoom viewfinder (1 X
magnification) that you can select with a wheel.(for preview)
- - same lenses
- - speed choice in the viewfinder + flash recycling
- - size of the spot meter (a real one, like M5) in the viewfinder
- - handgrip included
- - a silent mode, like hexar
- - a longer base for the rangefinder
- - no red leica logo or other inscription on the front of the camera like M3, M2,
M4 (for the discretion)
- - DX system for the film
- - etc...

= Leica M7 ??!?

and who don't need a Contax G2 because they have a lot of Leica lenses and
because they don't need autofocus.(and because they don't like 90 mm without
lens hood built-in, "shame on you Carl Zeiss"!)

I hope that Leica Camera AG will make all those users happy in the future.

Personnally, I'm member of groupe 2,3 and 4

Lucien
Belgium