Subject: Censorship, the Internet, and Brian Levy, J.D.
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:12:06 -0500

Brian

I dissent from your view, as I AM a supporter of Free Speech.  I have never
attempted to limit what my son watches, reads, or listens to, as my own
parents did not, and I cannot imagine a time when I would do so.  It is a
TOUGH universe out here in Reality Land, and the quicker kids develop thick
hides and an understanding of how yucky some folks can be, the better off
they will be in the great competition of life.  Trying to shield folks from
what goes on is counter-productive and ultimately produces incompetents
incapable of resisting the harshness of the world we all inhabit.

There are several issues here.  First, I don't WANT the gummit intruding
into my decisions as to what to watch or read, nor do I trust them to do so
in my 'best interests'.  Rather, I will be responsible for my own son's
moral development, and want the government to keep its Big Hands out of it.
It sounds, Brian, like you have done what a responsible citizen ought to do
- -- take charge of their own child's life, in your case by blocking the
Newsgroup he has access to. It doesn't take the Government to do this!  We
tend to want Big Brother to do all sorts of things which, ultimately, are
best done through self-help and individual responsibility.

Second, "porn" is something which is offensive to the watcher, not
"offensive in general" as no such thing exists.  There is a LOT out there in
Cyberland that I do not choose to look at or to read, but I do not wish it
limited, in any way.

Third, the Internet is international by its structure and scope, and your
suggestion, Brian, that it can be controlled by local law is sadly out of
touch with how International Law functions.  Look at the German fiasco for a
prime example of this.

Fourth, I shudder at the thought of any single government, or any group of
governments, trying to censor the 'Net.  I want the individual
responsibility of being in charge of my life.  Period.  Censorship is evil.
Period.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!