Subject: Re: Price for M6J Leica
From: "Hubert Nowotny" <hubertn@mail.ctr.co.at>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:55:29 +0100

> Date:          Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:32:59 -0700 (MST)
> To:            leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> From:          bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
> Subject:       Re: Price for M6J Leica

> >Hubert Nowotny wrote:
> >>

> >> The M6J is a different camera than the M6. It's by far more stable,
> >> more quiet
> >
> I'm missing something. The J cameras are built on the M6 chassis. They have
> the M6 shutter. They have the M6 meter. How are they more quiet, more stable
> (define stable please)? The only differences were external. That is direct
> from the sales lit.

Ben,

"stable" is meant as "less vulnerable". The interior mechanism is of
increased solidity (e.g. the mechanism which creates the shutter
speeds). I didn't see that myself as I didn't open the camera. The
technician who told me that did. He has seen and repaired many
M and other cameras, lenses etc.. He's trustworthy.

Maybe its written down somewhere that everything is equal. It's
simply not true, however. Surely the principle of the M6J is the
M6, the difference in many places is  _how_  it's made.

You'll always find people who'll tell you "there's no difference but in
the price". (Choose a subject you like most. The answer is the same.)
Chances are high that those people never touched the
items they're talking about ...

More quiet: Take it and feel. Release the shutter. Take a M6
afterwards, do the same. The M6 - all of a sudden - appears to be
more "noisy", more "shaking" when the shutter is released. That's
meant by "smoothness" - and that's important for the "feeling" and,
especially, when taking pictures at available light ...

Please note that we are talking about measurements with _really_
fine scales! I'm definitely able to take photographs at available
light also with "normal" M6es - and I love to do so. But - there
exactly is the difference we're talking about.

Whenever there are two products which offer - in principle - the same
thing discussions start "is the quality difference worth the price
difference". When you fall in love with a rare Leica lens and you
_want_ to have it, it's easily possible that you had to pay a fortune
to fulfill your dream. Was it worth the difference? Thousands of
dollars? The answer is different, individually.

Did _I_ fall in love deep enough to be as stupid as to pay the
difference? Or, put in other terms, is the performance difference
worth the price difference _for me_?

As both differences, in price and in performance/quality
are suffered and felt differently from one individual photographer to
another. Some people don't see a difference at all. It's all small
boxes ...

Why don't we all use Lomos? Drive Ladas? Where is the boundary?

That's the stuff that debates are made of. It's great to do the
debate (if you are in the mood for that). But we won't answer the
question one for all. As there is no answer one for all. Never. Period ...

(And that's one point which makes life worth living, BTW ...)

However, there's not too much use in creating of or debating about
myths. There have been 1600+ M6Js and that's it. There are far too
few M6Js to make up a mass movement ...

AND: The M6 is a fine camera, don't forget about that!

HTH and have a fine day
Hubert

* Von/From: HUBERT NOWOTNY, CTR Hatzenberger & Nowotny OEG
* A-1040 Wien/Vienna, Kettenbrueckengasse 16 (Austria, Europe ...)
* Tel ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 0, Fax ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 24
* hubertn@ctr.co.at, http://www.ctr.co.at/ctr/