Subject: Re: Price for M6J Leica
From: "Don Bledsoe" <dbledsoe@micron.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:06:36 -0700

Ben,

You have read most of what I have read about the M6J and came to the same
conclusions.  It's an M6 with a slightly different top plate and view
finder demagnification.  And as I too understand, the zinc top is more
resistant to dents/abuse than brass is.  Someone mentioned something about
brass gears (if I recall correctly).  I would not consider a softer
material in the gear train to be a plus.  Maybe slightly quieter but that
also tells me it was not designed for long life and heavy use as the M6 is.
 And hey, for $35 anyone can order a new M3 wind lever and stick it on
their M6 for that "retro look." :-)

Enjoyed the story about your Porsche and buying the Ford pickup, especially
the part about what your point was (none). :-)

The Leica is working wonderfully!  I now consider it the best camera I have
ever owned.  Why you might wonder?  Because it is mechanically flawless and
has enough use on it that I do not fear marking it up.  It is the only
Leica I own that has a strap attached to it.  I now take it nearly every
where with me.  I used to carry a Minox, and still do on some occasions,
but nothing beats a Leica for image quality in my opinion.  The wife asked
me why I suddenly began carrying a camera every where.  I told her I always
did but it was previously a pocket camera.  She was happy to see I finally
got a Leica that I really use a lot.  If I sound enthusiastic about it it
is only because I am!

Regards, Don