Subject: Re: Probs of Accurate Grading
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 07:52:09 -0800

Users like to know what it is they are buying as well as "picky"
collectors.  After many years purchasing through the mail from individuals
and stores, it is more of a problem with dealers rather than the
individual.  The average Joe usually pleasantly surprises me with condition
of user pieces.  And I am not so picky when I know it will probably be
beaten up in use.  In this category the cameras are not investments.  So I
am a bit more flexible.

The problem that I run into with dealers is that the SB grading system does
not stop at SB VG, but some % of dealers approaching 99% do not grade below
SB VG.  The system goes to SB UG.  Dealers especially do not grade that
low..... including Mr. Chatterton. Although they "all" have equipment in
that category for sale.

But when I buy user pieces through dealers, the grading becomes more
bizarre than plus signs.
Exc+ has been defined to have a severely scratched front element ( I bought
the lens then sent it back.  The explanation offered was that I should have
known better because the price was too low for the lens in Exc+ to BE
Exc+).  Or a camera/lens that shows its 30 year age which is working just
fine.  You can not tell from the same dealer even.  They are inconsistent
because they are human, with all the good and bad connotations..
I have never seen a camera marked SB Lousy, but I have seen cameras that
are in that condition and sold for up to SB Exc-.  ( If you actually read
SB's list of grades, there is no SB VG!  The system goes from SB Exc- to SB
Good.  That's amusing on its own, but not the point.)

VG can mean a wreck with the shutter speeds ridiculously off; or a lens
with haziness.  My M3 came through with 40% of its leather missing and a
jammed shutter.  It was marked VG.  ( To be fair, it has cleaned up real
nice, and I knew about the shutter and leather.  But VG as a grading was a
bit questionable... I would say SB UG would have been more fair.  After
repair it will be graded SB G.  It does have dents and is brassed.  )

I would like to recommend that if we are going to use SB grading, that we
use the entire range of grades.  For the sake of argument, use the system
twice, once for mechanical/optical condition, and again for asthetic
condition.

I have bought cameras from all categories.  Sometimes things are Ok and
sometimes things go back.  But I believe the SB grading system has real
merit.  Let's encourage its full use.

And insist on a return privlege.

Frank