Subject: Re: Probs of Accurate Grading
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:30:04 -700

With alacrity, Marc James Small wrote:

> Chatterton -- and a lot of other reputable dealers -- eschew the use
> of 'mint' save for items still sealed-in-box or the like.

Not really, Marc. Tamarkin, Chatterton Ury and Kuehl (these I'm aware
of), will sell mint that is not sealed in box. They almost have to in
order to compete via mailorder with each other. I have bought mint
from Chatterton which came with box, but was not sealed in box. If it
were, it would have qualified as "new", if with unfilled warranty, or
"as new" if without unfilled warranty.

I don't know the flea market procedures that probably hold with many
collectors. There, the E++ limit might be the best way to avoid an
argument.

I have no problem with the four dealers I mentioned above, only Don's
excessive use of +++++++ that merely confuse the issue for me. Of
course, what Don wants is for you to call him. If you do, he'll pull
the item and describe it to you in detail.
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum