Subject: Kodak/Ilford consistency; was X-mas Tree Test
From: Bill Welch <Bill.Welch@Pressroom.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 16:00:53 -0800

C.M. Fortunko wrote:
> Incidentally, I do my own B&W printing on Kodak VC paper. It is really great
> fun. For some reason, I seem to get more consistent results than on Ilford
> materials. Can someone shed some light on this. What am I doing wrong?

Chris:  One possible explanation for the difficulty you are encountering
may be the filters. Are you using Kodak VC filters on the Ilford
Multigrade IV paper? If so, invest in a set of Ilford filters. There are
differences. While each brand's will work on the other's paper, the tonal
response is different and less predictable. Switching filters made a big
difference for me. I found I got much better results when I used the
Ilford filters. I also like the Kodak Polymax II RC paper out now (with
the Kodak filters). But I prefer the Ilford products in both RC and
fiber.
     Of course, if you like the results you're getting with Kodak, stick
with that.
     By the way, if you normally use Tri-X, you might want to experiment
with HP5+ in your Leicas. (See, we got back on topic.) It has the
familiar grain pattern and tonal range, but with (to my eye) slightly
less grain. It is also more pushable. I use both, as well as Tmax 3200
and 100.
     Good luck.

Bill Welch