Subject: Re: Kodak/Ilford consistency; V35
From: Bill Welch <Bill.Welch@Pressroom.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 23:09:32 -0800

C.M. Fortunko wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I am using my V35 with color head. I recently bought a great book on B&W
> printing from Silver Press. This great English printer (Darryl?) also used
> the V35 but recommended not using the built-in filters. Do you have any
> experience with below-lens filters on V35?
>
> Chris

Chris: I don't use a V35 and so can't really say. I'm sure some on this
list do use that enlarger, and perhaps they can enlighten us.
	However, you might try calling the Ilford tech folks, who I have
found quite responsive to questions on other subjects. They may be able
to recommend appropriate dichro settings that correspond to
black-and-white filter settings for their paper.  (Ilford also has a site
on the Web and a support organization called Ilfopro.)
	Also, I believe that using a dichro color head for
black-and-white multi-contrast paper requires an exposure adjustment as
you change contrast settings. The beauty of the black-and-white VC heads,
such as Saunders makes for its line, is that the exposure compensation is
built in. Perhaps there is a module for your enlarger that does that.
Again, perhaps a LUG expert will have that answer.
   For black and white work, I usually use a Leitz Focomat Ic, which
predates yours of course, and an Omega D2 with a cold light head. I use
Ilford or Kodak filters on both. For the Focomat, you can place a gel
inside the head below the light source and above the condenser. For the
Omega, I use a different set of filters made for use below the lens. The
cold light presents its own set of VC problems, which I won't get into.
But that aside, using the filters below the lens works just fine.

	By the way, what is the book?

Bill Welch