Subject: Re: Nikkor 85 mm (off topic)
From: Bill Welch <Bill.Welch@Pressroom.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 23:14:04 -0800

Stefan Kahlert wrote:

> "A true dog" would be the last designation I would give to the
> 2/85. Yes, it is lower contrast than most other Nikkors but it is
> very good at resolving fine details. This lens is addopted to its
> application which is potraiture at first hand and I took enough
> pictures with both lenses to convince myself that the differences
> between them are moreover a matter of taste and not of quality.

	At risk of taking us further off topic, but because it looks like
a lot of us LUGs are Nikon users too, here's what Moose Peterson's Nikon
System Handbook has to say about the 85/2:
	''The 85f2 never seemed to catch on with Nikon users. It was
intended to fill the shoes of the discontinued 85f1.8 which it really
couldn't do. ... The lens never changed in design or cosmetics during its
production run. It's one of the Nikon lenses that is not highly
regarded.''

	This book and author rarely has a discouraging word to say about
Nikon products, so when he does, he probably means it.

Bill Welch