Subject: X-mas Lights and Tmax3200
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 09:55:24 -0700

LUGs,

I am very pleased with my monopod-assisted photos taken on Tmax3200 using
X-mas lights (many) and one 60Watt bulb as illumination. The lens was, of
course, second-generation 50mm Summicron at wide open.

On the other hand, I will never again photograph women using TriX.
Everything is OK at post-card size, but the grain becomes deadly at 8-by-10.
I am about to bite the bullet and start experimenting with Tmax 100 and 400.

Incidentally, the local lab uses Tmax developer on TriX. The results are
even more deadly than my use of Rodinal. I shall never abandon Rodinal and
TriX thought. I have a couple of close-up photos of a mule and a horse and
they are very nice. In this case, the grain size enhances the photo.

Here in Colorado, TriX does not appear to be the film of choice for 35mm
shooting of scenics and I will never use it again to photograph a young
face. I have heard that Tmax does not have the range of TriX. Is this true?

Incidentally, I believe that grain size is inherent to the film. Rodinal may
nibble at the grain differently than Xtol and D76, but will not break it up.

Regards,

Chris