Subject: What the hell's a FIE?
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 22:24:21 -0700 (MST)

Didn't R. Beamon use that word once or twice here?

Anyway, I collect things. Some things I merely accumulate. It seems to me
that as the really fine examples of Leica gear get squirreled away, the less
pristine gear gets bought up by those who wish that they had started
"collecting" earlier. At some point the remaining examples are not desirable
to the glass cabinet set. These are for us. If one uses his/her head nice
"user" gear can still be had at a reasonable price. Every once in a while a
minty item will become unearthed and will lay at your feet begging to be
bought for a song.

I used to think Marc Small was off his nut when he would describe some of
his purchases. Recently I've begun to open my eyes and have found what guys
like Marc have known for some time. There are Leicas out there, hidden in
closets, stored in attics, just waiting for someone to come along and
discover them. I would not be true to my form if I didn't bring up the MINT
M3 DS that I bought from Eric Welch's friend. I paid $600.00. To Marc,
unseen, that was too much. When it arrived I knew that I had scored. I have
a fellow who will write me a check tommorrow for $1,800.00 for the camera.
I've decided that my luck has probably been used up on this find so I'll
keep it. In a decade or so my son will probably end up with it. Until then
I'm gonna scratch it up a bit and shoot some slides with it. He'll have to wait.

Regards,

Ben W. Holmes

Boulder, CO
USA