Subject: RE:M4-2 Winder
From: John Irvin Buford <jbuf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 18:14:57 -0800

I have heard many people complain about the winders.  But, when an M4-2
winder is properly adjusted, it is almost silent in operation.  I was
going to buy a winder at the same time as I sent one of my M4-2's in for
CLA to Leica.   My friend suggessted that I let Leica USA have the winder
at the same time.  When I got the camera and winder back, I immediately
loaded film into the camera and went out to do some street shooting.
There was a little band playing on a street corner, I began taking
pictures of them and thought something was wrong with the camera as I
could not hear it operate.  But, it was working perfectly.  I had a M4-2
and M4-P, The one that had been tweaked by Leica worked fine on one body
and would not physically fit on the other body.  The other winder fit on
both bodies and was very noisy on one and worked alright on the other.
So I have said all of this to say the winders, IMHO are not really
interchangable.   And to really work well they need to be set up to work
with a particular camera.

John