Subject: M4-2 Winder
From: Paul Winkfield <paul@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 08:55:49 -0500 (EST)

Hi All!
I have the 1st version of the winder that came with my M, the instruction
sheet said that the winder should be sent to Leitz with M4-2 to be
'matched' since I was sending the kit in for CLA, I mentioned the above
in my letter and work was completed.

My winder runs quieter than the current M6 winder, it does make that
'clunk' sound and stops if I try rapid fire, and 2 different Leica
service guys said that the motor will burn out and advised that I should
upgrade to current. BUT I've been working with this kit since '83 and NO
PROBLEMS! Often I've put 5-10 rolls a day (before i got M6) and to today
its still a winner with me. Did I mentioned I dropped it several times?

I did loose the screw, I glued velcro inside the battery box to keep it
together. My only complaint is that you must remove the battery box to
use the tripod mount.

So, use it, dont try to machine-gun it, if using at 1 second, fire, let
gears wind down then let go of shutter button, otherwise the motor will
lock, if it locks, just manual wind. Its been no big deal to me.

When it burns out(HA!) upgrade to current.
<paul>