Subject: Re: M6 Titanium
From: Chris Fortunko <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 16:04:43 -0700

David,

Titanium is also harder than brass. Consequently, it works in combination
with brass and resistst the casual surface scuffing, etc. Brass provides the
strength, precisely because it is soft.

Chris

At 01:58 PM 1/2/97 -0800, you wrote:
>At 10:51 AM 02/01/97 +0000, you wrote:
>
>>But with titanized brass I can't find any advantage in functionality
>>at all. IMHO you just pay for a nicer look, that's all
>>
>>Stefan
>>--
>

>Titanium is a *very* strong metal, though as a plating, I doubt it would add
>any strength to the brass. But perhaps it would be strong enough to resist
>the ravages of "normal" wear and tear, and thus prevent the camera
>"brassing" at a young age.  Possible?
>-----------
>David Young             |  Smile! It's the 2nd
>Victoria, B.C. CANADA   |  best thing you can
>youngs@IslandNet.com    |  do with your lips.

C.M. Fortunko
Group Leader, Materials Characterization (853.05)
Materials Science and Engineering Laboratory
325 Broadway
Boulder, CO 80303

tel. (303)497-3062     FAX (303)497-5030
e-mail: fortunko@boulder.nist.gov