Subject: Re: M6 Titanium
From: Chris Fortunko <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 09:04:18 -0700

Mike,

I don't know the composition of Leica bodies. Please do not judge a book by
its cover. The bodies in the photograph may have been coated. This is
frequently done to castings for many reasons. One of them would be to seal
the surfaces and prepare them for the next step in fabrication.

I would prefer the top plate to be made of brass, because it would be softer
and  tend to absorb impact better than other alloys. I don't know how the
titanium coating is applied. I bet that this is an advanced process, unlike
that used to apply the chrome. Probably, the titanium has greater resistance
to tarnishing and is harder than chrome.

Chris

At 11:18 AM 1/2/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Dan Cardish wrote:
>
>> Some people think that if the M3 was brass, then therefore the M6 should be
>> brass also,  regardless of the actual differences between zinc and brass.
>>
>> Dan C.
>
>This may not prove anything on way or the other, but the latest M
>brochure from Leica has a photo of a number of unfinished M bodies
>laid out and they appear to be brass at, least in color, FWIW.
>Mike G.

C.M. Fortunko
Group Leader, Materials Characterization (853.05)
Materials Science and Engineering Laboratory
325 Broadway
Boulder, CO 80303

tel. (303)497-3062     FAX (303)497-5030
e-mail: fortunko@boulder.nist.gov