Subject: Re: Hats?
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 17:26:13 -0500 (EST)

Ah, the hat thread.  Maybe the car thread will finally be forgotten.
Anyhow, my 2 cents:  Like Marc, I am fortunate to have a full head of hair,
and I don't like hats either.  But I also have fair skin, and so need some
protection in a place like New Mexico (where I love to photograph).  I
bought a hat last summer called "The Ultimate Hat," which came in several
flavors; this line of hats resembles the Tilleys I've seen in ads.  Mine has
a huge brim and keeps the sun off very well.  However, I think I look silly
in it, so I only wear it when at photo sites in the hot sun (vanity,
vanity...)..  I use sunblock too, but you have to watch it or the grease
gets on the camera.

At 10:26 AM 12/30/96 -0800, you wrote:
>J. Redfern wrote:
>>
>> >Excuse me.  I'm of the age (46) where we Don't Wear Hats unless in the
military or the like.  What in the blazes is a 'Tilley hat'?
>>   Otherwise known as "spot the american tourist hat" to those of us
>> from the other side of the pond. ;>
>>         Sturdy and practical they may be and always to be found
advertised in the back of  grey power magazines but they look silly on anyone.
>> "J"
>
>No doubt about it, except why aren't they known as the Canadian tourist
>hat, since they originate there?
>
>The Tilley hat and knockoffs are unusual these days, but do require that
>you know when to wear them.  I wear mine only on the water and
>backpacking.  I often wear a felt hat for everyday.
>
>To me, the silliest hat is the Baseball hat, especially for
>photographers, since they have to be turned backwards to use the camera
>vertically.  And for sailing you need a cord and clips to connect hat to
>jacket so it doesn't fall off in the wind and into the water, and when
>you turn the hat backwards to shoot, the cord gets all tangled.  If
>there is any "american Tourist" hat, surely the baseball cap is it.  It
>has absolutely no class at all.
>
>I just wish I still had plenty of hair on top so a hat would not be so
>important against the sun.
>
>So "J," what is the best hat for a photographer that meets the standards
>of acceptance around the world and doesn't look silly??
>
>Donal Philby
>Sunny San Diego (where I went sailing yesterday in a T-shit)

Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU