Subject: Re: APO Telyt 180mm/3.4
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 02:25:42 -0500 (EST)

At 08:37 PM 12/28/96 -0700, you wrote:
>LUGs,
>
>Would someone comment on the history of the APO Telyt 180mm/3.4. Why would
>Leitz come up with this lens, which appears to be in competition with the
>Elmarit and Elmar lenses of the same focal length. Why is it that the new
>version of the Elmarit (2.8) lens appears to command a higher price on the
>used market than the APO??
>
>Thank you and Best of Light,
>
>Chris

I can make a start--others will know more, I am sure.  The 180 APO began
life, I believe, as a military lens.  As such, it's great at
infinity--better than Leica's other 180's--and so has a spectacular
reputation.  But it is less good close up, as Leica has made a point of
saying in their own literature over the years.  So it's a bit less of a
general use lens than the Elmarit, which is also a very good lens and much
lighter and smaller.  BTW, the Elmar 180 is wonderfully small and light, but
I found it noticeably less good than the 2.8, and that's borne out by
reputation as well.--Charlie

Happy New Year!

Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU