Subject: Re; white paint
From: John Irvin Buford <jbuf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 14:46:22 -0800

To an artist formally Known as Ben:

        This is a very easy procedure, you will need these simple
supplies:

        Modelers Enamel (what I have is Testors 1/4 oz )
        Fine Needle (straight pin, small nail, straightened out
                       paper clip)
        Small straight edge. (business cards are just the right size)
        Lighter Fluid or Pencil gum eraser (to clean the camera)
        Assembling the tools is the hardest part of this project.

        This is what I have done to replace the paint on different
cameras and lenses.  If the camera is black, I use lighter fluid
to clean the outside of the camera.  Just dampen a cloth with the
fluid and wipe the camera off it dries and does not leave a residue.
If the camera is chrome, I use a gum eraser, to clean the camera.
Gum eraser the kind sold in art supply stores (do not use ink erasers
as they are too abrasive.)  After you have cleaned the peice you are
going to work on, then take get the pin and dip it in the enamel and
then touch the pin to the area where where you what to replace the
lettering.  No need to be fancy just cover the entire area with just
enough enamel so that you cover each letter/number with paint.  Here
is the most important part, quickly use the straight edge to wipe
off the excess paint.  This will leave just enough paint to make the
letters readable (I usually wipe at right angles to the letters).
Do only a small area at a time this paint tends to dry guickly.
With a little practice, you will be able to do this and not to
clean up after.  But, for the first couple of times you may want
to keep a little lighter fluid to clean up.
        The only thing that you have to be careful of, is that
some of the bodies and lens are engraved but never held paint
if you try to put paint in these engravings you will have paint
all over the camera.  You will never get these to hold paint.
I know this from practical experience, with my Leica SL body.

I hope this Helps
John