Subject: Re: R lenses....
From: Chris Fortunko <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 10:14:17 -0700

Mike,

I cannot afford the new 180mm Summicron. However, I did see a mint 180mm APO
Telyt, which a like. Can you comment on this lens?

I currently have a type-1 Summicron 50mm lens for my SL2. It is 25... and I
find it to be as good as my type-2 Summicron for my M camera. The new ones
are probably even better.

You commented on the new 28mm R lens being better than the new 28mm M lens.
I am curious about your evidence. I don't doubt your findings, I am just
curious as to what to look for. The older 28 R lenses were also thought to
be very good.

In general, used R lenses appear to be more affordable than M lenses. For
example, one can buy a 90mm Summicron-R for $500. The 50mm Summicrons can be
had in mint conditions for as little as $300. This is half the price of
comparable M lenses.

I am an M camera user, but recognize that SLRs are useful sometimes. I
stopped using them, because I found them difficult to focus. Later, I found
that this was caused by astigmatism in my right eye. I am now using my left
eye for focusing.

Best regards,

Chris