Subject: Re: Shipping Cameras
From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: 20 Dec 96 18:56:44 -0600

Like Grant, I've had excellent luck with FedEx too. Their package tracking
is second to none, and their econo service is highly competitive to all but
UPS Ground/GroundTrak. It is easy to get one's own FedEx account and lots
of free goodies, including FedEx Ship software, export documentation
software and more. I primarily used the Mac versions, which run like
molasses. I did try the Windows versions found these to be slow, too. But
it does give you the ability to personally track the progress of your
package.

Preparing one's gear for transit:
Packaging is often overdone, or done poorly. More than anything else, you
want to immobilize the camera in the center of a impact-absorbing
container. If it's free to float about in a large box loosely filled with
peanuts, it can and will bump up against the walls of the box and will be
easily damaged, since there's effectively zero padding in this area. Take
the sealed box and shake vigorously: If you can feel something heavy
rattling around in there, go back and try again. I would not let Mailboxes,
Etc or others like them do the packing for me.

Common sense tips: In the case of cameras and the like, I would never, ever
ship these in a "prestige" box, and neither would I leave such in plain
sight with the garbage. The ideal box is sturdy and competent, but looks
sort of junky. On customs forms, I would declare that it was a used/new
35mm still camera, made in Germany, and valued at $xx. I would not provide
brand or model info.

I've shipped thousands of dollar's worth of goods and have never lost or
had any of my own stuff broken in transit.
Specializing in interesting, quality junk.
Sherline items sought