Subject: Re: Shipping Cameras
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 17:13:28 -0500

With respect to Mr Wilson, I also have a lot of experience shipping items,
in my case, cameras and optical gear.  The Postal Service has NEVER, count
them, NEVER lost anything and, over the past six years, has engendered ONE
complaint, when something that was time-critical took six days to get 250
miles.  I ship approximately six to ten items per week.

UPS is getting worse.  The number of damaged parcels has gone up
dramatically over the past year.  FedEx is even worse.  They have lost
several items, all of which were eventually found, but with a delay of
several WEEKS.

I ship a lot overseas.  Neither UPS nor FedEx will insure 'unique items'
when shipped overseas:  they define this as serial-numbered items not in
current production.  And they are nasty enough NOT to tell you this unless a
claim is made.  As some of my overseas sales amount to thousands of dollars,
I'll ship by the Postal Service, thanks:  they DO insure, and their
insurance is guaranteed by international treaties.

Another annoying thing?  I can get my mail on Saturday.  If I'm out of town,
the Post Office holds it at my box.  UPS and FedEx try three times and ship
it back.  Jerks.

The result of all this?  I ship by mail.  When I buy, I insist it come to me
by mail.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!