Subject: Re: lightmeter for an old M
From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: 20 Dec 96 22:35:25 -0600

>I may go the route of purchasing a pre lightmeter M body. Can anyone
suggest a
>few good lightmeters on the market? I could then go to some local places
and
>request to look at some. Also, what are the common prices for these
things?

Around $50-$600+ . On the bottom end, you might consider something by
Gossen or Sekonic. The Gossen Scout is very small and light and needs no
batteries. For around $250, you can start looking at Sekonic digital
models, usually with incident light-metering domes. Spot meters occupy the
higher price realms. Unless speed is of the essence, I prefer spot meters
for most situations. I use these in combination with the Zone System.

>...And a highly subjective question....what is the BEST  pre lightmeter M
to own? I
>had thought of the M4-P.

Had I found a nice one at an attractive price, I'd have gone this route
myself. As it was, for my 3rd and current M, I got myself an M4, as it was
a bit cheaper at the time. I think the M4 has more of the classic Leica
look, along with most of the modern conveniences. It also has a self-timer,
which can be handy if you've ever gotten to the top of a mountain, only to
realize that your cable release was sitting at home. I've also had good
luck with the maligned M4-2 (my first M), but I admit that from the start,
it had a rangefinder problem, though 200 or so dollars later, it was fixed
and did not trouble me again. The Leica that I most regret selling was a
late-production M3 which I had purchased for $550. Having snapped it up
sight unseen without any preparatory research, I loved the classic looks
(those levers and knobs are gorgeous) but was dismayed by the clunky film
down a rapid film loading conversion and probably could've worked around
the other two issues just fine: For $550, I could've laughed all the way to
the bank :-) But I was kind of impulsive, and was just eager to get my
money back at the time: Chalk that one up to experience.
Specializing in interesting, quality junk.
Sherline items sought