Subject: UVa filters, lens hoods and stuff / CL and M series lenses
From: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 17:09:31 -0500 (EST)

Dear LUGGER'S,

Just noticed the filter fit on my Leica lenses isn't the same ... and
some lens hood and lens cap questions arise as well.

Ex:  The 50mm f/2.0 Summicron-M and 90mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit-M UVa filters
fit snugly and apparently flat edge-of-filter to flat-end of lens 'nose'.
Both filters are 39E; one's a B+W and the other is a Leitz.

My tiny CL camera's 40mm f/2.0 Summicron-C has a 39E on it and the filter
doesn't seem to fit correctly.  That is, it doesn't seat snugly, flat edge
of filter ring-to-flat edge of lens 'nose' like it's two 'cousins', above.
BTW, a Leica dealer sold me the filter for the 40mm lens.  I think I got
hosed.

1) After further investigation, doesn't the 40mm f/2.0 Summicron-C
(Wetzlar) require a series 5.5 filter?

1a) If so, where on Earth do I find a multi-coated series 5.5 UVa filter?
I prefer a B+W or Leitz and can't find a listing for one anywhere.

2) Is there any known hard plastic replacement for the terribly-made
rubber lens hood (12518) and snap-fit lens cap (14191) that came standard
with the 40mm Summicron-C lenses / CL cameras?  These things are a 100%
joke when it comes to quality and function.  Terrible!

3) Does anyone know if the Minolta version for their 40mm f/2.0 Rokkor-C
was better / different?  (It would be almost impossible to make a shade /
lens cap combination worse - in quality or in function - than the Leitz
rubber contraption.  Leitz-Wetzlar engineering should have been ashamed!)

4) The clip-fit plastic lens shade (12538) for an older 50mm f/2.0
Summicron-M (Wetzlar) continues to mar the lens barrel with each removal
and attachment.  Even then, the lens cap (a black metal slip-on thing with
a strip of burgundy-red "rat fur" inside as a friction fit) doesn't fit
the lens with the hood on and the hood almost wants to reverse on the lens
for ease of storage but not quite.

Even then, the lens cap wouldn't fit in place so it's worthless and is yet
another loose piece to get lost in the haste of shooting.  Does anyone
know of a suitable replacement?  (If this is a pristine example of Leitz
engineering for convenience, it's horrible!)

5) My Minolta 28mm f/2.8 Rokkor-C requires a 40.5mm filter size.  Any idea
where to find a top-notch multi-coated UVa filter for THIS?

BTW, the lens shade and lens cap for THIS tiny Japanese lens is perfect
... in function AND excellent quality!  The shade bayonets in place -
forward or reversed - PERFECTLY aligned each time for range-finder viewing
- - and the lens cap fits the shade in either shooting position or storage
position for protection at all times.  Outstanding!

6) Any suggestions on locating a 12575 or IUFOO lens hood and a 14033 lens
cap to replace yet another horrible rubber lens shade / cap for the 90mm
f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit-M (Canadian) would also be much appreciated.

Private e-mail most welcome!

Best regards to all,

Tom Hodge
Davidson, North Carolina, USA