Subject: Re: Angenieux
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 14:33:54 -0500 (EST)

At 11:59 PM 12/17/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I was told today that Angenieux made a 35-70 zoom for the Leica. Is this
>true? I cannot find any references to such a lens in my literature.

Yes, they did.  It was, by reputation, excellent.  In fact, it was
distributed by Leica for a while, as a settlement by Leica and Angenieux in
a dispute over Angenieux's use of the Leica lens mount design.  It's a
strange thing to handle, being made of an odd lightweight plastic, but all
test reports were great.  BTW, it was priced like a Leica lens.

>Can anyone comment on the 45-90 zoom by the same manufacturer. Is it up to
>today's lenses in terms of performance?

Again, relying on reputation, the answer is that it is not.  It's a very old
design, entering the line in 1969, and as you know zooms have improved
tremendously over the last 10 years, let alone the last 20.  It was
incredibly expensive when it was in the line, but used prices are pretty
low, again one indication of its performance.  It is a completely different
lens from the 35-70 mentioned above, and a much older design.

>Thank you,
>
>Chris

You're welcome.  Happy holidays!---Charlie
Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU