Subject: Re: Turnley Brothers... was: Yul Brynner: Photographer
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 00:38:08 -0500 (EST)

The "Charlie" mentioned below is the other Charlie!  Anyway, this Charlie
wants to dispute Marc's assertion about durability.  The top-line Canons and
Nikons are used by pros in horrible conditions, and are certainly very
durable--or the pros, whose living depends on them, wouldn't use them!
Indeed, one of the great things about the Canon EOS-1n and the Nikon F5 is
that they are seriously sealed against the weather, something Leica does not
do well at all.  I refer you to the infamous Paul Ross article, "J'Accuse
Leica," where he addresses the issue of durability.  He argues that Leica
M's are no better and no worse than other pro cameras.  Indeed, there's a
lot to worry about with M's; the RF is fairly easy to knock out of
alignment, e.g., and the manual shutter can go out of adjustment and not
tell you there's a problem until you see your results.

At 08:07 PM 12/17/96 -0500, you wrote:
>At 11:41 AM 12/17/96 -0700, Charlie wrote:
>
>>I know I treat my M6 with care, but it's good to know it can take abuse if
>I need to >dish it out.
>
>Trust me on this one.  I treat my Leicas as tools, and they get some banging
>around.  They're tougher than my treatment, so they're tough.  No Nikon, no
>Canon, damned few Zeiss Ikon cameras would hold together.  A Rollei, of course.
>
>Maybe that's why I shoot Leica and Rollei ... the only cameras that can take
>my treatment!
>
>Marc
>
>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!