Subject: Re: Measuring exposure with Leica M6
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 17:28:53 -0400

At 01:02 PM 17-12-96 -0700, Chris wrote:
>The metering on the M6 is really very unambiguous. ...[snip]

>I agree with Dan that the best way to use the M6 meter is to point it at
>midtones. However, this creates a problem with slides, which have to be
>exposed on highlights. (I don't do slides very often any more.)

Actually, I never said midtones.  If you meter on the highlights (zone VII,
say), then you have to adjust you metering accordingly.  Similarly for the
shadows (zone II, III).   This is what you are doing when you meter off the
palm of your hand, and then open up one stop.  Most peoples palms are
roughly zone VI (mine is zone VI to within about 1/10 stop!).

The meter in the M6 will be quite accurate if you use it correctly (the same
applies to all meters).

Dan C.