Subject: Re: Measuring exposure with Leica M6
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 15:41:09 -0500

Actually the measuring area of the M6 is not all that ambiguous. It just
isn't indicated in the finder. (This is good to my way of thinking. There
are too many lines in there already) I use a circle about 2/3 the height of
the frame for the lens in use at this works reasonably well.

Although I have an incident meter, I rarely use it except for copying. If I
know the light will be VERY contrasty, like a stage show, I bring along the
a spot meter. I have also tucked into my bag a "Black Cat" exposure guide,
which is not a meter, but a guide to exposure under different conditions.
It is usually accurate enough for negative film.

kw

>Hi, I am totally new to the M6 rangefinder way of working as before I had a
>Canon EOS which did everything or almost everything for me. It=B4s been 3
>weeks and 8 rolls since I changed everything I had and got my Leica and the
>Summicron 50/2.
>
>I've experienced a lot of difficulty in measuring the expsure, as I was
>totally used to precise spot metering with my former camera and now I find
>it confusing to measure with such an ambiguous zone that depends on the
>lens you have and the frame.
>
>I would really appreciate to hear everybody=B4s experience in metering with
>the M6. I am particularily interested in hearing about practical situations
>and variation of systems (camera meter, incident light meter, etc..).
>
>I shoot most of my work available-light documentary, and my preferred films
>are Kodak Tri-X 400 and T-Max 3200.
>As one in the group once suggested me, a good choice could be metering with
>the M6 on the palm of my hand, an then open 1 stop.
>
>Thanks everybody for your help, and hope that this could be interesting for
>the rest.
>

>                Nicolas Levinton. nicolev@jet.es

- ----
LHSA, MEA, LAW                         preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>