Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #294
From: John Irvin Buford <jbuf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 13:09:35 -0800

Listmgr@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us wrote:

> Leica-Users List Digest      Friday, 13 December 1996      Volume 01 : Number 294

> From: pgs@pa.dec.com (Patrick Sobalvarro)
> Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 00:47:51 -0800
> Subject: obscure Canon -> Leica thread mount adapter question
>
> I have a question about an obscure lens mount adapter.  It's a "Canon
> Lens Mount Converter A".  The store claims it's a converter from Canon
> FD mount to Leica thread mount.  If I were sure that this were true I
> would buy it.
	The Canon Lens maount adapter "A" will allow you to mount a LTM lens on
A canon Body.  But it is only useful for close-up work, you lose infinity focus.
The adapter that you want is the Lens mount adapter B.  ASAIK This will allow
you to mount any Canon R or FD mount onto a LTM body.  Then if you add a an
LTM to Bayonet adapter you can use this contraption, with full infinity focus
(not rangefinder coupled) on an M Leica.  I have the 19mm Canon that I use on
my CL.  This is a great combination, I zone focus and away I go.

> "Canon Lens Mount Converter B," which
> is supposed to adapt any breech bayonet Canon lens to Leica thread
> mount.  Now, my understanding was that the difference between breech
> bayonet and FD mounts was in the presence of an aperture coupling pin
> (not important for a rangefinder) and the presence of a locking ring
> on the lens (not the mount), but that the two systems are otherwise
> interoperable.  So why would there be two different "Canon Lens Mount
> Converters" then?

While I have not tried this with the newer style lenses, I do not see
any reason why it would not work.  In fact if I can get into to town
I will try it and get back to you.

Hope this helps
JOhn