Subject: Checkinga lens (was Re: 50mm summicron: new or DR?)
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 19:56:59 -0500

Take your small flashlight with you. Shine it through the lens and look
through from the other side. Do this from the front and the back. Move the
light around a little. If you see any cloudiness, beware. You may have some
separation or other problem. Fungus usually shows up as streaks rather like
spider webs.

You don't really need to be too concerned with with tiny flecks (dust?)
unless there are a large number of them.

This sort of inspection will also help reveal marks in the lens coating.

I did have one lens (a Tele-Elmarit 90mm M lens) which separated after
about 10 years of use, but regular use helps discourage fungus.

The DR Summicron is a fine lens which facilitates easy closer focusing. I
have not used the current version.

kw

- ----
LHSA, MEA, LAW                         preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>