Subject: Re: Leitz glass vs. Zeiss G-Mount glass or M6 vs. G2
From: Tan Tay Shyan <shyan@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 12:48:17 +0800

Scott,

I am facing the same 'problem'? as you do...so here's my 2 cents worth

I love my Leica but it is getting a bit too expensive to acquire new lenses.
I currently have a M6 and a M4-P. I use a 35 Summicron and 90 Elmarit.
I am also tring out my Russar 20mm f5,6. As I was tring to decide if I
should go for a Contax/Zeiss G2, it seems that the comment from most Leica
users (especially from LUG) is that the Contax body is a pig (sorry for the
expression). While their opinion may be bias, I have yet to hear from people
who uses the G2.

As far as the glass is concern, I think they are quite comparable, (I have
not use the Zeiss-G lenses yet) judging from the general opinion (again).
I am a satisfied user of Hasselblad camera and their Zeiss lenses for many
years now and they never dissapoint me.

I will be buying a Contax TVS next month for my wife (she wants AF)and I might
sell some of my Leica gears if (the TVS)are good. It is not a replacement but I
think travelling light and the convenience of AF might influence my decision.
Besides I will always have my Hassie to fall back on if image quality is a
top concern. And...I will always keep my Leica M6/35f2,0 with me.

Also note...the Leica lenses are at least 2x the price of the Contzx/Zeiss
lenses but they (Contax)don't have fast lenses.
Question is, do you need fast lens?  (Do also check out their 16mm Hologon!)

Another question is..."To AF or not to AF?"   The decision is yours!
ENJOY

Best regards,
SHYAN

*****