Subject: Re: News Equip, was; odd things
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 15:32:26 +0100

Very soon, all news photographers will be using digital cameras,
eliminating film processing and sending the pictures directly to their
editors. Will the Leica be obsolete, then?=20

I would say yes, for this kind of fast news photography. But not for
documentary work and photo-journalism. Many news pictures are really good=
,
but I like the photo-journalist approach best, ie when the photographer
spends some time with different assignments.=20

What camera is used by news photographers when they make pictures on thei=
spare time? I don=B4t think they bring their EOS cameras when they go for
their holidays. Maybe they bring a Leica?

It is hard to see how the R8 can compete with the new digital Nikon F5. W=
hy
does Leica invest so much in a new SLR, when they can=B4t compete anyway?=
think that the R7 is good enough, and in my opinion a better business
strategy would be to develop a Leica CL2, or a M7 with automatic exposure
(like the Minolta CLE).

/Hans

>=20
> All the same is even more true for Leica... no autofocus, no 28~70, and
> only just now a 1/250th sec. flash synch (R8). News Photographers work
> under VERY adverse conditions, and look to maximize the percentage of
good,
> useable frames that they shoot. Autofocus, fill flash, and wide-ranging
> zooms are tools that WILL maximize the percentage of usable frames.
>=20
> There is no excuse for not using the BEST technology available, when yo=
> are paid to "bring back the bacon".
>=20
>                                                 Greg.
>=20