Subject: Why intermediate shutter speeds?
From: "Charles E. Dunlap" <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 12:33:44 -0700

After following the intermediate shutter speed thread with interest I find
myself wondering why I should bother. Adjusting the aperture ring seems a
far more satisfactory solution. I don't shoot a lot of transparencies and
so I don't fret over third stop differences in exposure, but if I did (or
when I do) I think that adjustment of the aperture ring would be the best
way to fine tune exposure on the M6. The advantage is that the meter will
still work while making the adjustment, so you can dial in the exact
exposure. Choosing an intermediate shutter speed is guesswork and,
possibly, detrimental to the camera. Perhaps others disagree, but the
change in depth of field required to shift exposure in 1/3 stop increments
should be minimal and irrelevant.

- -Charlie

              Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Deptartment
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074