Subject: topicality and Oddmund's post
From: "Charles E. Dunlap" <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 21:40:49 -0700

>his lengthy discourse on "why photograph" or
>whatever its title was, also has no relevance to Leica.

The Ms have for many years been a camera of choice for photojournalists.
Oddmund, thank goodness, is pushing our discussion in the direction of our
emotional investment in our profession/avocation/hobby. He would rather not
be so narrow minded about the group that he considers it limited only to
questions regarding technical matters: lens tests, serial numbers, etc.
We've had many discussions here that could have been considered taboo. In
particular I saw no one objecting to the "which focal length do you like
best?" thread.

felt the least intrusive of any camera I had used. I want to be able to
look through an uncluttered glass window and have a photo taken when I
press the button: no delay, no second guessing, no whirring and clacking.
The reason I prefer this, the reason I chose an M6 as opposed to a G1, an
SLR, or a point and shoot is that I photograph to record a particular
instant seen through my eyes. The Leica is not in my way, it doesn't ask
sensless questions, I trust it. I am not a professional and I don't believe
that my photos will change the world. I believe that they will allow me to
communicate with friends, acquaintances, and even strangers a way of
seeing, a point of view, that is best expressed visually. I write short
stories and poetry for the same reason: I have something I'd like to say
and use the medium that I feel suits the subject best.

- -Charlie

              Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Deptartment
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074