Subject: Re: Dualism in the M's Future?
From: James J Dempsey <jjd@k12-nis-2.bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:25:55 -0500

Bob Rosen <Afterswift@aol.com> wrote:
>> If the M7 shutter goes electronic, so must M7 lenses. And there's the rub.

I'm not sure I understand this.  Why can't an M7 have an electronic
shutter and aperture priority automation while maintaining the
existing (non-electronic) lenses?  The Minolta CLE did this exact
thing what, almost twenty years ago?

My proposal for what Leica should do with all that capital from the
IPO:

Come out with a fully mechanical M6.2 that is almost the same as the
M6, but with some of the improvements suggested here: better
viewfinder, better shutter speed dial, self timer, meter on/off,
faster sync speed.

Then come out with an all new M7 that uses the same lenses but has
electronic shutter, optional aperture priority automation, TTL flash,
multiple metering modes including spot, higher shutter speeds, etc.

Not that I could afford either of these cameras when they were new.

Some have questioned how you could put all this inside an M6 sized
body:  Minolta seems to have done it pretty well with the CLE and that
was much smaller than an M6.  I would think that Leica could do it
today.

As for a zooming viewfinder, that isn't necessarily what I would want.
I like to be able to see what's happening outside the edges of the
frame.  How about this instead: A viewfinder with some sort of built
in "tele-converter".  For 28mm, 35mm and 50mm it would be very similar
to the M6.  Then when you put on longer lenses, an internal lens would
slide into place and double (triple?)  its effective focal length for
75, 90 and 135 lenses.  The viewfinder in the Leica AF-C1 does this
when you push the "tele" button and the lens is doubled from 40mm to
80mm.   It would be similar to a built in set of "dual range" eyes.

As for film loading, I have little trouble with the M6.  It seems no
harder to me than a traditional opening back.  I also have a CL and
find that about the same.  It helps with the CL to have a neck strap
attached so that that the back can dangle in the air while you are
threading the film.

                       --Jim Dempsey--
                         jjd@bbn.com
              http://frontdoor.bbn.com/users/jjd