Subject: Dualism in the M's Future?
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 09:39:47 -0500

Leicaphiles,

If the M7 shutter goes electronic, so must M7 lenses. And there's the rub.
Besides the discontinuity in the M line, electronic f stop electronics
introduce the problem of failure under adverse conditions -- related to the
nature of batteries. The lower tolerances and lesser number of aperture
blades is inevitable in an exposure- integrated meter system. So we'll be
losing Leica quality in our images. That's the ultimate consideration.

We might even modernize ourselves out of lens interchangeability eventually
in the M, despite shutter priority. An electronic shutter also may mandate
the end of the great horizontally traveling M focal plane curtain because
shutter speeds may be jacked up to 1/8000. Another loss in quality.

Whatever Leica does in the M7, I'll still prefer my M3 and CL.

Nevertheless, I foresee two new Ms, an updated manual M6 and an electronic
M7. We'll be able to choose not only from two body types but also two lens
lines: a manual and an electronic. The manuals will probably cost more.
Probably Leica users will own both, so Leica profits will soar. It's also
possible that Japanese lens outfits will produce M electronic lenses.

A CL2 might be electronic as well. When a Leica body is available for under
$1K, the Leica will become a very popular camera.

Bob Rosen