Subject: Minolta CLE and TTL flash
From: Richard V Setchim/Tokyo <setchim@pwj.co.jp>
Date: 10 Oct 96 17:55:34 JST

EGrajek@aol.com asked:

<< I have a Minolta CLE and would like to get the proper flash to take
advantage of the TTL flash metering. Will a Minolta SLR flash unit work?
How
about a flash for the R5? >>

The Minolta CLE had its own TTL flash unit: Auto Electroflash CLE. GN 14
 (meters) with ASA 100 in normal mode, and GN 10 (meters) with ASA 100
with the wide-angle diffuser in place. Takes two AAA-size batteries.

Other MinoltaX-series Auto Electroflashes can also be used. The CLE
instruction booklet shows an Auto 200X mounted on the camera. The
booklet states: "Any of the Minolta X-series flash units can be used on
the CLE, with full use of their dedicated functions. Use of these units
with the CLE is the same as described in their manuals for use with
Minolta XD and XG cameras, except for the flash-ready signal in the
viewfinder."

Even better: SCA system adapters can be used. I use my CLE with a
Mecablitz 45 CL4, with a 331 adapter. Perfect results. As soon as Leica
upgrade the M to TTL flash, I will trade my M4.

The R5 needs a 351 adapter.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Richard Setchim