To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Dating II and III
From: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 96 07:40 BST-1
Cc: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk

How do you date a screw thread body? Well, I suppose you could send it
flowers and invite it out to dinner, but...

I think I understand about I-II-IIIc, I-II-IIIf & I-II-IIIg, but the
earlier stuff confuses me.

I've found a cheap 'user' described as "II converted to III with Black
Dial sync". It doesn't look like the very old models I've seen, how do I
work out the date from the serial number?

Were the conversions carried out exclusively by Leitz and their agents,
or were there 'chop shops' who's work is to be avoided?

dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk      |  "The loss of an old man
david@cassandra.compulink.co.uk  |  is like the destruction
Kilburn, London, England.        |  of a library"