To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: State Farm Gets All...
From: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 96 06:05 BST-1
Cc: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk

> I've heard folk say that they think the chrome body looks more like an
> ordinary camera, therefore less likely to attract your friends. Hope it
> works for you. It probably could be argued that the chrome is a bit more
> resistant to wear, but I've got this thing for the look of a well
> brassed
> (loved) black beast.

I think you're right in that chrome stands up better, the old (and
stupid) distinction of black=pro chrome=amateur seems to have disappeared
too thankfully. I have both, and while black is less obtrusive in some
environments, chrome seems to attract less "look it's a journalist"
reaction (which is good, because in the UK journalists rate below leeches
on the scale of public opinion). Chrome's also *much* better if it's hot
and sunny.

Subjects (or victims, if you prefer :-) ) reactions to cameras are always
interesting. The other day I had 10 frames to finish in my F3 before
dropping everything in to the processors. I wandered around finishing
them off. I didn't have the motor on it (unusually for me with that
camera), but was using the sports finder (the ordinary one's in for some
panel beating) and a 135mm f2. There were some rather shady looking
characters hanging around on the corner, their reaction to a man in a
pin-striped suit with a big black camera was to run away looking very
*very* guilty, and I didn't even point it at them (I'm foolish, but not
*that* foolish).

As a mind numbingly dumb way of incriminating yourself it was hard to
beat.

dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk      |  "The loss of an old man
david@cassandra.compulink.co.uk  |  is like the destruction
Kilburn, London, England.        |  of a library"