To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Emotive lenses
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 12:24:46 -0400

At 12:56  05/10/96 +0100, you wrote:
>In article <199610042059_MC1-A07-7797@compuserve.com>, "George R.
>Zachar" <102413.1577@compuserve.com> writes
>>Uh, what's an MTF test? And, in plain English, is
>>it possible to explain how intentional lens aberrations
>>can be made to selectively fuzz parts of an image and
>>not others?
>>
>>I am genuinely curious. I am thinking of sinking a lot
>>of money into a camera system, and if you can prove your
>>point, my decision will lean toward seasoned Leicas.
>
>My own (uninvited!) response to this is to suggest that trying out a
>Leica outfit and looking at the results might provide more useful
>evidence for system selection than any scientific explanation of why a
>lens does what it does. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, not
>in the analysis of the recipe. Ultimately, it's what the results look
>like that we have to live with after spending the money. I saw a look,
>or character, in my first Leica photographs I'd never seen before with
>any other equipment and I knew I wanted that look. I made a decision I
>can live with. In fact I get happier about it all the time. :->
>--
>joe b.

Just to add that Leica, unlike most cameras, is not a sunk cost, but an
investment. I 'well seasoned' means other than brand new, then with a good
plan of what you want and some patience in its acquisition you can acquire a
great system for not much more than a new system of one of those other
brands. If history is an indicator, the investment may even be a better
hedge against inflation than the stock market. And to boot, you get to use
the investment rather than hiding it in a vault or just hanging it on a
wall. Oh, by the way, if 'sinking a lot of money' into a camera system
bothers you, maybe you should look at an alternate brand which may cost far
less. I think that most will agree that acquiring a Leica system is not for
the tight fisted. While most brands today will take more than adequate
photographs, in this hobby/business the cost for small incremental increases
can be costly.  That what separates Leica (and German Contax glass) and
'Blad from the rest.
Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto, Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com