To: "'leica-users'" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: RE: M6 emotive quality
From: KEVIN BURKE <KBURKE@iterated.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 96 16:14:00 EDT
Encoding: 53 TEXT

>I had the opportunity to test an M6 recently. The pictures seemed
>to display a certain emotive quality. I am wondering if this is
>typical of what others experience with this camera.
>   I was photographing my children at play. They are 6 and 7 years
>   old. I have been photographing them from birth with 35mm SLRs.
>The pictures appear as if the kids were almost unaware that they
>were being photographed, even though most of the pictures were
>taken at close proximity with a 35 mm f/1.4 lens.
>   The Leica photos showed the kids displaying emotions of joy,
>   anger, and frustration. They have a penetrating quality.
>The reason why I found this peculiar is because whenever I photographed
>them in the past with an SLR, they seemed to react differently.

I've got three children ages 7, 2 & 8 months.  I've been photographing them,
much like you have, over the course of their lives with 35mm rangefinder,
35mm SLR and 6x6 SLR.  At various times I've captured images of them
displaying the qualities you describe.  This has happened with all three
camera types.  However, their reponses after I press the shutter can be
different depending on the camera.  The Leica is pretty quiet and appears
to not distract from whatever activity is in progress.  The SLR has also
caught "fleeting expressions" more as a result of anticipation and reaction
time (fast auto-focus helped a lot).  Success rate seems determined by
using the camera I've been using most recently.  Sometimes wasting a
frame when shooting the SLR gets a look and a big grin due to the sound it
makes.  While certainly not a covert candid style, catching the follow-up
reaction has netted some memorable images this way.  I think it depends
on what the photographer is after.

>Once they were old enough to know what a camera was and what it
>did, they became all too aware of the camera's presence, and began
>posing or making faces when the pictures were about to be taken.
>   With the Leica, they seemed to go about their play, and the
>   camera was able to capture some very powerful expressive qualities.
>Is this a common part of the Leica owner's experience with an
>M6? I have heard people describing similar phenomena when describing
>the camera and the images it is capable of capturing. I would
>appreciate some feedback on this matter, because I am considering
>whether or not to purchase this camera.

My 7 year old has become most concious of the Leica.  When I have it out,
he notices almost immediately.  Turns out he's not concerned about having
his picture taken; he seems to feel the need to share it with me.  He's not
so
keen on any other camera.

For comparison, Sally Mann shot _Immediate_Family_ with an 8x10.  While
not the rangefinder style, some of the images of her children are also
expressive.

 - Kevin

kburke@iterated.com