To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: to Kim Sherman and other Microsoft email program users
From: Jack Campin <jack@purr.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 15:21:47 +0000

Kim Sherman <ksherman@isdn.net> wrote:

[ content irrelevant ]

>From:   Stephen Kobrin[SMTP:kobrin2@xman.wharton.upenn.edu]

Your software should not be quoting addresses like this: the "SMTP" should
not be there, and brackets <...> are the standard, not [...].

>- ------ =_NextPart_000_01BBB0C9.C2F0D9E0
>
>eJ8+IhwGAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAENgAQAAgAAAAIAAgABBJAG
>AGABAAABAAAADAAAAAMAADADAAAACwAPDgAAAAACAf8PAQAAAGEAAAAAAAAAgSsfpL6jEBmdbgDd
>AQ9UAgAAAABsZWljYS11c2Vyc0BtZWphYy5wYWxvLWFsdG8uY2EudXMAU01UUABsZWljYS11c2Vy
>c0BtZWphYy5wYWxvLWFsdG8uY2EudXMAAAAAHgACMAEAAAAFAAAAU01UUAAAAAAeAAMwAQAAACIA

[ much more of the same gibberish deleted ]

And this CERTAINLY shouldn't have been there.  You should NEVER send an
attachment except to users who you know have the appropriate software
to read it and who have expressed an interest in receiving it.  That does
NOT mean a digested mailing list.  I presume you didn't do this on purpose,
but some piece of crazed software on your computer thought we all needed it.

We've been through this on another mailing list I subscribe to.  The problem
there was caused by MS Exchange.  If you're using the same piece of crap, you
can stop it adding the nonsensical binary attachments by setting MIME to OFF.
However, that will not get the address format right, and the thing will still
send out messages with unwrapped long lines whatever you try to do to stop it.
Qualcomm's Eudora (a far better debugged program) comes in free versions for
both Mac and PCs; why not use that instead?

Brian: is it not possible to simply auto-reject or auto-edit postings with
attachments?  There have been far too many of them here in recent weeks.

Kim: please notify your system administrator, as they have probably given
the same dud or misconfigured software to other users, who are now wreaking
similar havoc on many other mailing lists.

jack@purr.demon.co.uk  -  Jack Campin, 2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh EH7 4AE