To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Scratched front element
From: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 96 00:40 BST-1
Cc: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk

Tony Galt writes:

> I have inherited a 90mm f/2.8 Tele Elmarit -- a really nice and compact
> lens -- but it has an abrasion on the front element that is perhaps .5mm
> long. In certain lights, this causes a white flare spot on my
> transparencies, always in the same place along the lower lefthand edge
> of
> the frame. Otherwise the images appear sharp. I have read that putting
> some black laquer on such a scratched spot can help with flair
> (although I
> believe I read this in a discussion of large format lenses). Does anyone
> have any suggestions about what to do. Would replacing the front element
> be a possibility, and what expense might it entail? How about laquering
> the spot?

Well, given that the front element is knackered anyway, I can't see that
you'd be risking anything by trying it. A steady hand, a fine paintbrush
and a decent desk magnifier would be where I'd start. OF course you'd
wind up with an f2.85 lens, or something similar, but WTH.

You can get front elements replaced, I knwo someone who had it done to a
Canon lens, but it was *very* expensive even for a Canon in current
production. My advice would be to get an estimate from a decent repair
place and see if it's reasonable, though I rather suspect you'll be
talking about a figure not wildly dissimilar to the cost of a s/h lens.

dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk      |
david@cassandra.compulink.co.uk  |  "The loss of an old man
(+44) 181 450 5459               |  is like the destruction
Flat 3, 11 Kingscroft Road,      |  of a library"
Kilburn, London NW2 3QE          |