To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Scratched front element
From: TONY GALT <galta@GBMS01.UWGB.EDU>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 09:15:46 -0500 (CDT)

I have inherited a 90mm f/2.8 Tele Elmarit -- a really nice and compact
lens -- but it has an abrasion on the front element that is perhaps .5mm
long. In certain lights, this causes a white flare spot on my
transparencies, always in the same place along the lower lefthand edge of
the frame. Otherwise the images appear sharp. I have read that putting
some black laquer on such a scratched spot can help with flair (although I
believe I read this in a discussion of large format lenses). Does anyone
have any suggestions about what to do. Would replacing the front element
be a possibility, and what expense might it entail? How about laquering
the spot?

Tony Galt, galta@uwgb.edu

Replies: Reply from "joe b." <joe-b@dircon.co.uk> (Re: Scratched front element)