To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #161
From: cdhoover@pacbell.net
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 11:30:00 -0800

Sounds like a great setup. The 100 APO is un-knockable; I have seen
prices closer to $1500, though, for mint lenses. Primarily I use the
35f2, 60 and 90f2; I like the size and the fact that they all share the
same polarizer. I'm sure the 35f1.4 and 80f1.4 are great if you need the
speed.

Regarding other comments on the R5-7-8: I moved up to the R5 several
years ago from the R3 and always thought it was a bit small to hold
(especially with a 180). The R7 makes much more sense in the viewfinder
(the R5 shows duplicate info and can be confusing) and is a touch taller
(fits much better in the hand). The fact that they have compatible
drives is great, too.

I'll probably wait a couple years until I can get an R8 used, and more
experience-based reports are available. I would expect that the body is
much easier in the hand, and that the control layout is improved (i.e.
it's hard to see the mode window on the 4-5-6-7). In the next few years,
we'll most likely see more development and innovation from <Leica
Camera> now that they're going public.

Good luck!

Chris H.
cdhoover@pacbell.net