To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: More newby questions
From: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 96 02:09 BST-1
Cc: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk

OK, so now I think I know which screw thread models I should be looking
for (thanks chaps), which brings me to the matter of lenses.

I'd like a 35mm, 50mm and 90mm to start with (but see below), and have
settled on 35mm f3.5 Elmar, 50mm f2 Summitar & 90mm f4 Elmar. Is that
reasonable? Summicrons for the 50 and 90 would be nice, but are beyond my
price range. Is the optical performance of these lenses going to
disappoint me? I notice that there's a Summar lens type too, and these
seem very cheap, am I correct in assuming that the performance is dire?

Any opinions would be gratefully received.

And now the dumb question: I know I need an external viewfinder for the
90mm, do I also need one for the 35mm, or are there bright lines in the
finder for 35 & 50? A local shop has a separate finder for the 50mm lens,
what would that be used for?

Finally (and forgive me if this is a heresy), the same shop has a Russian
screw fit 20mm f5.6, with finder. This would be really interesting to me,
as I use my 20mm Nikkor a lot and really love the images, are these good
performers, or junk?

Sorry to be a pain, I'll shut up soon I promise.

Replies: Reply from John Van Stelten <focalpt@ecentral.com> (Re: More newby questions)