To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: curious about whining sound from R6 and R6.2
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 19:21:31 -0400

I'm curious about something I've noticed with both my R6 and R6.2.
Occasionally after I've tripped the shutter, the camera makes a little
mechanical whining sound for about half a second.  It's almost
inaudible.  The sound is similar to the kind that a mechanical timer
release would make on an older camera (although the R6 and R6.2 use an
electronic timer connected to the electromagnetic shutter release that
the camera has so it can be used with winders, if I remember
correctly, so that's not it).

It may be that it happens mostly after I've used a slow speed like
1/15th, although I'm not absolutely sure.  Shutter speeds seem to be
perfectly accurate when I shoot chromes, and I don't think there's
anything wrong with the bodies, but I'm curious about the sound.
Anybody have any ideas?

-Patrick

P.S.   I predict the new R8 will be roundly hated by the American
       press, who will say that it is as ugly as a Saab 99 (I kind of
       liked those cars).

P.P.S. I wish Leica would concentrate on some more wide lenses for the
       SLRs as opposed to working on being the manufacturer with the
       most long lenses in its lineup.  I would like a really wide
       rectilinear lens that didn't cost a jillion skillion dollars
       like that Zeiss 15mm.

Replies: Reply from 4020 <tenguyen@ucdavis.edu> (Information/opinion regarding Leica M5)
Reply from "joe b." <joe-b@dircon.co.uk> (Re: curious about whining sound from R6 and R6.2)
Reply from Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net> (Re: curious about whining sound from R6 and R6.2)