To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Schneider 35mm/f2.8 Xenogon LTM
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 23:15:44 -0400

Jack Campin asked about the Schneider Xenogon 2.8/35.

Yours is uncoated?  That's quite unusual:  these lenses are a bit later than
some of the other Schneider LTM offerings, generally dating from the middle
1950's, by which time JSK was coating all their lenses, to my knowledge.
This lens and the 3.5/135 Tele-Xenar were praised by the professionals of
the day for their fine colour saturation.  Today, the rarity of all these
JSK LTM lenses makes them highly sought after;  you could swap you lens
even, I warrant, for a 2.8 Summaron if not for a good user Summicron.

I'm not certain of the design and my Kingslake is ALWAYS at my other site.
But the Biogon patent expired in 1952 or thereabouts -- just about the time
the Xenogon appeared -- and Jos Schneider was never above a bit of pilfering
Carl Z's better concepts, as they did the Xenotar from the Planar.  So your
guess might be right, and the Xenogon MAY have a formula similar to that of
the Biogon.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!